2.15.2006

What do you think about?



Question:
What do you think about?

Answer:
I think about things like this. In fact, an editorial I'm writing now ends with "...Information is big business. Look at Wal-Mart ..."

Summary:
Libraries are and have always been in the information business. Now, we need to wake-up and realize this time is the experience economy -that means service plus information.

The Journal of Electronic Publishing:
"Meanwhile, outside the world of research publishing and librarianship, life is good and getting better, at least in that small corner of the world where I conduct my everyday activities. I buy a book from Amazon in two or three mouse clicks, and the book appears at my doorstep three days later, with no charge for shipping. I transfer money online into my checking account without a hitch (if only I could remember my password!). Managing a Netflix subscription is a real joy: fast, reliable, with a pot of gold arriving regularly in my mailbox. Or I step into a Kinko's copy shop to make some file copies of IRS forms: insert a credit card, press for copies, and get a receipt printed out at the end, all without having a single exchange with a Kinko's staff member. Publishers are toiling in purgatory, librarians in hell, but there is a paradise somewhere, a world of carefully analyzed and optimized workflow, where, mirabile dictu, a person's time is so highly regarded that it is never, ever squandered."

No comments: