7.21.2007

What do conversations, wireless & personal connections have in common...with libraries?

move those feet
I look for humanity's need to be social as it's tied to technology in the information world, especially the way libraries could become significantly more important in so many peoples' lives in so many simple ways. It's not that libraries can't adapt, it's often that people won't adopt new ways of being without realizing they don't have to change.

Some neat stuff out there; these entries highlight how the online/off line world is becoming seamless through conversations, wireless, and age-old art of finding connections.
Like "...Can we not be very excited about the cool Web-based applications that emerge each day ..." And the people who are "...Reading A Measure of Faith, by Maxine Billings . She bought it where she buys all of her books...She goes about twice a month and buys about fifteen or twenty books--black authors, historical fiction, erotica. Yes, you can buy erotica at Walmart...." or when you read this post, think about the design of anything in a library ; actually, think about something you really like in library buildings and see if you can name 5 points about what's wrong with what you like -that's right, not what you think is right about it but, what is wrong with what you like.

How do you do outreach?
-half-page weekly advertisement in student newspaper or any newspaper
-guerrilla marketing tactics to frats & sororities & Kiwanis & Rotary & Mad Hatters
-embedded librarians in various places besides libraries from 11-1 every day

Be open my library friends.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Do I understand this correctly, "...it's often that people won't adopt new ways of being without realizing they don't have to change"?

Are you saying that someone can adopt a new way of being and not change?

iblee said...

Absolutely; there is a fundamental set of core values within us that will never change. I mean, if you've spent your time honing enduring values, you will know what to keep & what to change. How does one know what values are or what ethics are? Read. Study. Get a mentor. Make mistakes. Learn.

As an example, I've adopted the practice of a structured & disciplined life. For a while, I worried that this would crush my creativity -that I wouldn't be spontaneous anymore.

But, Mon-Fri, I get up at the same time, do most of the same activities each day yet now have more time to pursue creative activities. I feel more free and more myself because I've adopted structure. This hasn't change the core of me, just how I go about being in the world.

As we adopt the best practices, re-mix those that don't work so well, & shelve for future use those that fail (presently), we learn that we can add methods to further our own self-development.

I understand that one may say: "well Lee, then you changed." But, the military didn't give me disciple (as so many people say it does.) What I learned was that I was already disciplined and needed a structure where I could practice that discipline. The military provide that. Otherwise, my butt may have gone to jail.

Thank you for you comment -it really got me thinking!

Mark said...

Interesting thoughts, Lee.

At first, I would have said no way can one adopt a new way of being and not change, but based on your explanation I agree that parsed in this manner it is possible.

Two concerns with the idea: 1) I don't think most people would use "change" in this way, at least without explanation; 2) I'm not sure how many people nowadays have a fundamental set of core values.

I think our society has been engaged in raising the last couple generations without any sort of fundamental anchoring. This is not to claim that no one has these, but it seems much rarer than it used to be.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Much to think about as I myself venture down the road of adopting a new way of being while retaining my core values. In this endeavor, the words I use to describe it seem far less important than the doing. I imagine we both agree with that.

P.S. The military didn't provide me much discipline or structure either.

iblee said...

Building on your idea, most people don't know how to change. Agreed. Most people don't have a decision-making process that acounts for more than 1 or 2 variables. Most people have spent 1/10th of 1% developing their emotinoal I.Q. This is something we (USA) do not teach. But, does this mean we (society) can't change?

I know I'm getting into the lofty realms of philosophy but I carry around a Kierkegaardian-like anxiety at times about wanting change -and learning to let go.

With 6-7 billion people in the world, you are right: Society can't keep up to teach the values everyone needs, and I agree the doing is more important than just spouting about it. With new ways of being though, we can change.

Research shows, true leaders use words like: we, our, us, more than I or me. I define true leadership as the act of first understanding change only happens with people, not in spite of them. Change is possible even if it never truly happens. Even if it is a lost cause. How so?

Everyone thinks they can drag a horse to water, some think they can make it drink but what really happens is you end up with a broken spirit. It takes much longer to get someone to accept the idea to change than it really does for them to change. Even with that said I know most people aren't going to take the 2+ years of repeated practice to change a behavior -as research shows it does. So, I derive my satisfaction from lost causes. In those moments, I feel I've ...well maybe, I've changed, that's all.

While doing/acting is the big & simple idea, how we show & tell the people around us "to do" matters a lot.

Now, back to watering my plants, doing my kata, turning on the back of earth...